Saturday, November 19, 2011

Rumor has it

“Can you even shoot a gun?” my friend asked across the table at Pizza Hut. “Well, no but I’m pretty bad ass so I’m sure I can handle it.” We were talking about my upcoming interview at the Madison Police Department. No one would have guessed I’d want to be a cop, not even me, but the opportunity presented itself during a bleak time. College classes are tough and then pitch in a child. I knew after the first week of classes that I couldn’t juggle all the tic-tacs on my lap. As I left my calculus professor’s office, feeling immensely confused than before, I passed the cork bulletin board, filled with listings for roommates and job offers. I stopped and read a posting from a “recently divorced 51 year old woman”, looking for student roommates that love cats but may not bring any of their own. I snickered, what a cougar. Above that posting was a bland posting and quickly scanned the header that read, “City of Madison”. It intrigued me so I sent an application in. I was in limbo over what to do with my life. I loved English but knew the lavish lifestyle I craved would not suffice on a teacher’s salary. As I read the starting salary for an Associate’s Degree, I became exceedingly interested. The salary was compatible to jobs that require 4-6 years of schooling. Next year I would be obligatory to transfer and Madison was the place. I’m fickle. As much as I have dreamed of attending UW-Madison, it would never be the same. “I
have myself and now a son to support, can I realistically keep going to school, racking up debt?”. My friend nodded,” but a cop? It’s dangerous.” As I a smirk started to surface, I responded, “Oh it will be thrilling.”

No comments:

Post a Comment