Saturday, November 19, 2011

Walk it off love

His face scrunched in dismay, “You have a kid?” I mentally rolled my eyes, thinking back to my phone background, the button pinned to my backpack, and the keychain, all donning pictures of my son. “Yes,” as I slide my phone to unlock and showed him a photo,” he’s five months old.” He uneasily smiled and looked down at his plate. Well, there goes that date. Throughout the movie, he kept glancing at his phone, turning the bright screen away from view, gliding his fingers across the touch screen. A discreet smirk played across his lips as the phone’s glow luminated his face. Handsome, I’d give him that, yet not someone who would appreciate my flamboyant nail color or societal sarcasm. I knew I was strange, a tad bit quirky. I dodged his stare as I told the waiter I just wanted the bread basket and a slice of chocolate cake at dinner. As he asked my favorite movies and TV shows, I saw his eyes glazed over as I rattled out V for Vendetta, The Tourist, American Horror Story, and True Blood. I knew I wasn’t the typical blonde who cared more about her social stature than her brains but life would be dreadfully boring if this was so. I was also blessed with an eccentric sense of humor, which turned off certain people….and this guy was one of them. As I cracked a joke as a response to his remark, I was given a disconcerted smile, chased by a nervous sip of his drink. The night finished with an uncomfortable silence as we both headed for our cars and he mumbled, “Cya in class Tuesday.” Good lord, this what I have to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment