Sunday, November 13, 2011

A Year of Biblical Womanhood

http://rachelheldevans.com/easter-weekend-tent

Purpose:


Rachel Held Evans spent an entire year dedicating her life to the “Womanhood Project”. She followed the Bible’s instructions for women as literally as possible. Such as not cutting her hair for a year, referring to her husband as master, making her own clothes, and the post I will be reflecting on, camping out in her front yard during her period. The blog isn’t meant to mock the Bible, more of how we are “picking and choosing” what from the Bible we should apply to our lives.

Who is it directed towards:


The blog can be directed towards anyone. I’m sure it is directed towards the modern day Christians but I don’t think the traditional Christians would appreciate the blog. It’s humorous so I believe it can be enjoyed by anyone of any religion.

How Well Written:


The author is a well-known writer so obviously she does a fantastic job at describing her experiences. Though in her blog, she is more laid back in descriptive imagery. Her writing is more comparable to an average woman blogger. She is more straightforward with her writing and uses slang such as, “scaring the crap out of me,” which probably could have been described in more and better detail.


Gut Feeling:


I love the concept of this blog. I’m a firm believer in not following everything the Bible says. We live in a contemporary society where much of what the Bible says can be seen as outdated. We no longer make our own clothes, refer to men as “master”, and certainly do not avoid all contact with men during our period…though it would be a nice vacation every month.
She connects to her readers and even comments back on her reader’s posts, even if they disagree with what she is doing. What she is doing is an extreme which can be viewed by many readers differently but she is essentially taking a stand against society who “picks and chooses” what to follow.



Letter Grade:


A+
I love the humor and it’s something drastic that I could see myself doing just so I can laugh at society….or they can laugh at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment